Grace Church, is an active, big-hearted, community-minded Episcopal parish in lower Georgetown.
Sunday morning services at Grace combine simplicity, informality and reverence, continuing the tradition that drew the working people of a rough-and-tumble neighborhood to Grace at its founding nearly 150 years ago.
See the sidebar for information about Grace’s 2017 Lenten prayer and reflection groups, offered in collaboration with other Lutheran and Episcopalian churches and ministries here in Georgetown. Also to be found there: Holy Week and Easter calendar of services.
Coming up soon, special celebrations marking Grace’s 150th Anniversary:
- Sunday, April 23 – special commemorative services at 8:30 a.m., 10:30 a.m., and 5 p.m.; Bishop Mariann joins us for the 10:30 Eucharist.
- Saturday, May 6 – “come one, come all” community celebration, 2 to 5 p.m. featuring the music of Andrew Barnett, Marshall Keys and Friends – a blend of jazz, blues, spirituals, gospel, traditional hymnody and other sacred music that moves and inspires its hearers. Bishop Mariann, DC Mayor Muriel Bowser and Ward 2 Councilmember Jack Evans have accepted invitations to join us at this celebration.
For this event, Grace is seeking:
- Interpreters to staff tables with images and information about various epochs in Grace’s history;
- Re-enactors to participate in brief skits depicting important events in our history;
- Bookbinders to assemble commemorative volumes.No prior training or experience is necessary for any of these roles. Contact the Rector if you’re interested!
- Friends of Grace Gala, Sunday, June 4 at Pinstripes Restaurant.
The Georgetown Ministry Center always needs your help. Donations of large size men’s athletic shoes, boots, warm weather clothing, new underwear and socks and personal-size toiletry items are most welcome. They can be dropped off at GMC 8 a.m. – 4 p.m. seven days a week; it’s best to call ahead – 202-338-8301. Donations can also be left at Grace on Saturdays and Sundays until about 1 p.m. These and other items can be donated through GMC’s Amazon Wish List.
Please click around our website, and learn more about us through Twitter and Facebook. We welcome you, in this season of self-examination, repentance and renewal, and always, to Grace Church.
John Graham, Rector